This season we’re happy to welcome a new member to the Taking Control of Your Diabetes (TCOYD) team, Chef Robert Lewis, also known as the “Happy Diabetic,” who will serve up fun recipes and helpful tips – with an extra helping of happiness!
Chef Lewis joined us on the TCOYD season premiere, “Diabetes Heroes – Urban Miyares,” to offer up some great picnic tips that’ll make your summer a lot more tasty. We also asked him to share one of his favorite fish recipes on the TCOYD blog… so get cooking!
Robert’s Salmon Skewers of Love
Recipe by Chef Robert Lewis The Happy Diabetic
Salmon is truly a fish for all seasons. It can be prepared in so many tasty ways, and this is one of my favorites. Baked or grilled, the light marinade makes this dish unforgettable. It’s easy and quick to prepare, but your friends will think you cooked all day.
Makes 4 servings
Ingredients & Methods
2 medium-size fresh salmon filets
2 tablespoon fresh garlic
1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon fresh basil
2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 red pepper
1 green peppers
1 red onion
2 large Portobello mushroom cut in ¼’s
4 bamboo skewers
– Skin salmon and cut it into 1-inch pieces if your fishmonger or butcher hasn’t already done the job for you.
– Mix garlic, oil, basil and lemon juice in a bowl. Combine with salmon and refrigerate for 2 hours.
– Place skewers in cold water for 10 minutes before building them. (This will keep them from burning.)
– Cut veggies into 1-inch pieces.
– Alternate peppers, onions, mushrooms, and salmon on skewers.
– Place on a hot grill for 8 to 10 minutes, turning often, or place on a baking sheet in a 375- degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes.
Learn more about Chef Robert Lewis the Happy Diabetic here.